City of Ashes ( The Mortal Instrument #2 ) by Cassandra Clare

Friday, September 20, 2013



ISBN13: 9781416914297
Pages    :453  
Published : 2009
Format  : E-book
Personal Rating : 9/10
Plot (Goodreads ) : 
Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation

  
Review :
   
Like the book before, this book is fantastic. Cassandra Clare keep the book interesting! I know lots of you have read it and my review would be out of date, but I’m still recommend it!



Before we go deeper, let’s talk about the overall of the book first. So, like most sequels that I have read, this book felt more emotional than the first one. Second, if in the City of Bones the book told the story about how Clary adapted in the Invisible World, this book told  the story more about the Shadowhunters and Valentine’s plan. Mostly, this book full of Jace, so you can see many Jace’s emotions that haven’t shown in the first book. The book is also more complex and have more surprises

When we’re talking about TMI, we must talk about Jace and Clary. Well, after knowing that they’re siblings they kinda like trying to runaway from each other. Jace by picking a fight with werewolves and Clary by dating Simon. To be honest, I am never been a big fan of incest romance, but I don’t know why, I don’t really mind it. Eventhought, I hope they weren’t.

As for another couple, I think Magnus and Alec made a cute couple :D.  Anyway, there are lots of Magnus’s scene and I think I am starting to see his character. He was kind,helpful, and funny. I can see now why he is fan’s favorite character!

For other characters,I’m going to start with my favorite character which is Jace because I think he got more spotlight than other characters in this book. Like I’ve said before, he shows lots of emotions, not just the sarcastic one. I used to think he always keep his emotions for himself, but in this book, he often looking for someone to be shared his feelings, like Luke. If you read, you’ll see him struggle ,desperate,and somehow confused where he belongs  . And I feel really sorry for him, because he was keep being pushed by both Clave and Valentine.

For Clary, she improved a lot. She still one of my favorite heroine. And she find her Shadowhunter Talents!! And it’s not so far than her regular talent, which is painting. She could make runes that aren’t included in the Gray Book. One of them that I remember is fearless . It could make people so brave that they started to act like they’ve lose their mind. I almost laught when Alec use it and act like someone who is drunk.

Then Simon, I think his life was totally become upside down. I’m glad that she found someone that he felt comfortable with. I hate when  he started dating Clary and become protective around her like, don’t do this, don’t do that. I mean, seriously, Clary is a Shadowhunter, she doesn’t need to be told around like that.

Finally, the ending. I think the ending was really teary. It was so emotional, especially when Jace was leaving the institute  and Maryse told him about the French Ballad.

Well, that’s all I have to say. Wonderful written book, highly recommended!

" Everyone has choices to make; no one has the right to take those choices away from us. Not even out of love- Luke Graymark

Desire is not always lessened by disguset. Nor can it be bestowed, like a favor, to those most deserving if it "- The Faerie Queen

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please give me your thought about my posts. Include your blog links if you want me to comment back :)